Club History

Boston Football Club formed after a public meeting held at the town's Assembly rooms in the summer of 1964 following a row over money matters which led to Boston United opting out of senior non-league football. 

FC first played in the Lincs League and Central Alliance League, both of which they won, the Lincs League in 1964-65 and the Central Alliance in 1965-66. After two seasons in the Eastern Counties League, the joined the Midland League. Former Derby, Mansfield and Newcastle striker Bill Curry brought them the title in 1974-75 in a dramatic end to the season. Eastwood needed to win their last match at Skegness to deprive FC, who had played all their fixtures. Skegness were 3-1 up at half-time but Eastwood pulled it back to 3-3 and even pushed their keeper forward in the final minutes in a bid to snatch the victory they needed. But Bill left the following season even though FC reached the two-legged final of the Midland League Cup, only to lose to Frickley. Bill was replaced by Bob Duncan, one of the players he had brought to the club. A PE teacher at Boston Grammar School, Bob continued to play at right back as well as being manager and ushered the club to one of their most memorable eras.

On November 20, 1976 Boston FC played away at Barnsley, then a promotion-hunting Fourth Division club. FC had made it through to the 1st Round Proper of the FA Cup for the first time after beating Stamford, King’s Lynn, Bourne and Bangor en route. Undaunted by a 6,000 plus crowd and talented opponents boasting Neil Warnock, Brian Joicey and Peter Springett in their side, they had the audacity to open the scoring and lead 1-0 at half-time. Mick Daley’s cartwheel celebration after he put FC in the lead is one of the most vivid images in the club’s history. In the end, we went down 3-1 but comedian Charlie Williams, one of the club’s directors, was among those who paid glowing tribute to FC’s performance. The end of that season some more silverware arriving at Tattershall Road, with FC triumphing 2-1 on aggregate against Alfreton in the Midland League Cup Final.

The 1978-79 season saw FC champions again in similar nailbiting circumstances involving Skegness. This time, Skegness had to win away at lowly Retford in the last game after FC had played all their matches - but lost 2-0. FC then won the Lincs Senior A Cup three times in a row in 1979-80, 80-81 and 81-82. The 1979-80 season saw a thrilling FA Trophy run in which they beat Heanor, AP Leamington, Oxford City and holders Stafford Rangers before losing to Mossley in a replay. The Midland League title was won for a third time in 1980-81 by a commanding 13 points over second-placed Alfreton.

But with non-league football being restructured, the Midland League was disbanded and FC joined the Northern Counties East League. It wasn’t a successful period, with FC rarely finishing in the top half of the new league, which was dominated by new names like Shepshed Charterhouse as well as Yorkshire sides like Thackley, Guiseley and Emley. Bob don-Duncan left to become manager at Grantham Town from 1983 to 1985 and was succeeded at Tattershall Road by a string of bosses including Percy Freeman, Trevor Thompson, Steve Rogers, Martyn Boyers and Jim Kabia. The ship was finally steadied with the arrival of Bill Brindley. Just two years after the ignominy of finishing bottom of the Northern Counties East in 1986-87, FC enjoyed another title triumph – this time becoming champions of the Central Midlands League Supreme Division which they had joined the previous season.

The 1990s saw the club enter another new era, joining the United Counties League in 1990-91 for the first time. Bob Don-Duncan returned to the helm and in 1994-95, FC – now re-christened Town - won the United Counties League for the first time, pipping Cogenhoe on goal difference on the last day of the season with a 3-0 win at Mirlees Blackstone.

A year earlier The Poachers had come agonisingly close to making an appearance at Wembley. Having switched to the FA Vase from the FA Trophy 1984, Town enjoyed little success for their first decade in the junior competition. But then in 1993 they embarked on a fabulous run. Town recorded a string of memorable wins despite being given three consecutive tough away draws against Radcliffe Borough, Arlesey Town and Whitehawk. Facing us in the semi-final were Taunton Town. A 1-0 away defeat in the first leg left the tie in the balance but sadly Town went down by the same scoreline in the return match in front of a bumper crowd at Tattershall Road.

The 2000-01 season ended with another enthralling climax. This time, Town pipped Cogenhoe on the last day of the season. It had been nip and tuck between the two clubs and Raunds throughout most of the campaign. On the very last day, the Poachers needed only a point from their final match at Buckingham to edge out Cogenhoe, whose final fixture was against Kempston. At one stage in the second half, the Cooks were 2-0, with Town still at 0-0. A Ross Don-Duncan penalty spot looked to have assured the Poachers the title but then two goals from Buckingham left them desperately searching for an equaliser with just minutes to go. Remarkably, Ian Shooter grabbed the all-important goal in stoppage time and a further seven minutes were played before Bob Don-Duncan’s men could celebrate.

Town have not won the title since then but they have lifted the league knockout cup three times. Their 17th season in the United Counties League began on a high when they beat old foes Boston United for the first time in the 2007 close season. Liam Parker scored the only goal in a pre-season friendly at Tattershall Road in front of 635 fans. The 2007-08 season also saw Gary Bull become the club's all-time leading goalscorer – he eventually hung up his boots with 201 goals to his credit, having also smashed the club record for most goals in a season with a remarkable 57 in 2006-07

The Poachers secured further silverware in the 2008-09 season when they won the Lincolnshire Senior Trophy for the first time in 19 years, defeating Winterton Rangers 2-0 in the final held at Lincoln City’s Sincil Bank stadium.

Following a disappointing 2009-10 season which saw unexpected defeats to lower-place clubs in both the FA Cup and FA Vase Competitions, the club made changes by bringing in former Bourne Town manager, Martyn Lakin, and his management team of Ian Shooter and Rob Speechley, all three former Poachers.  The side would go on to finish a creditable seventh in the UCL Premier under the new management team, a much higher place than many critics had predicted. But Lakin resigned during a turbulent 2011-12 campaign which would see the Poachers finish in an unaccustomed bottom half finish.

Pinchbeck United’s double winners Ian Dunn and Matt Hocking took over in 2012 but again oversaw a side struggling in the lower reaches of the UCL. A humiliating defeat against Spalding was the final straw which led to Nathan Collins replacing them. A tough-tackling former Boston Town midfielder, with huge experience with Grimsby Town’s youth set-up, he quickly returned the Poachers to an even keel. However, Nathan was forced to stand down from the job in September 2014 because a back injury. His replacement Dan Barrett brought in another influx of players from the Grimsby and Cleethorpes area but, having stabilised a potentially tricky situation, he threw the club into further turmoil by resigning after five months for non-footballing reasons.

Town then appointed the highly experienced former West Brom, Oxford United and Boston United winger Mark Angel as first team manager in the May 2015 - but after winning the UCL manager of the month award in November, his team's form dipped and he stepped down from the post. Collins returned to the hot seat for the start of the 2016-17 season but left under a cloud after only a handful of matches.

In October 2016 the club appointed Gary Frost to replace him, with the aim of giving him the chance to replicate the Lincs League success he had achieved with Wyberton. 

Frost led the Poachers to their best FA Cup run for four decades, beating higher grade Carlton, Hednesford and Dereham, but was replaced in January 2018 by former St Neots Town and Boston United boss Dennis Greene. However, Greene’s reign was short-lived and Frost’s former head coach Gary Edgley took over as manager in August 2018.