FA Vase run - 20 years on

The season the Poachers almost got to Wembley

This month marks the 20th anniversary of the Poachers' historic appearance in the FA Vase semi-finals.
It's hard to believe but it was on Sunday 27 March 1994 that the second  leg against Taunton Town took place at Tattershall Road.
Two decades on, it's hard to have anything but fond memories of that thrilling run but at the time it was agonising to come so close to a Wembley final only to fall at the last hurdle.
Here's the full story of we got that far:

Prel      Fakenham Town       A    5-5
Prel R  Fakenham Town       H    2-1
1           Mirrlees Blackstone H    2-1
2           Barton Rovers       H    3-1
3           Bedfont             H    6-1
4           Radcliffe Borough   A    3-3
4 R       Radcliffe Borough   H    2-1
5          Whitehawk           A    3-2
QF       Arlesey Town        A    3-2
SF       Taunton Town        A    0-1
SF       Taunton Town        H    0-1

It all started in the unlikeliest of circumstances with a topsy-turvy 5-5 draw at Fakenham. That goalfest set the tone for the rest of the campaign, with free-scoring Boston netting a remarkable 29 goals in nine FA Vase games before firing blanks against Taunton.
Three rounds in a row saw us given a tricky away draw - but the Poachers dispatched Radcliffe Borough (after a replay), Whitehawk and Arlesey to send the town into a frenzy of cup fever.
A 1-0 defeat away in the first leg in Somerset on Saturday 19 March 1994 was regarded as a good result considering Taunton's impressive home form.
But eight days later in front of a crowd of 1,785 - the biggest attendance at Tattershall for nearly a quarter of a century - Boston weren't able to turn the tie around and the dream of Wembley glory was over.
It was fun while it lasted though. And it would be nice to give it another go one of these days!

Photo: (C) Boston Standard


Our Sponsors
DWB Timber Engineering Boston
Newton Fallowell Lettings
Join Us On Facebook
Follow Us On Twitter