Poachers 3, Whitworth 1

03 May 2018 in Match Reports

Poachers 3, Whitworth 1 Poachers 3, Whitworth 1

Melee sees five sent off

Five players were given their marching orders in a crazy finale to Boston Town's last home match of the season.

It overshadowed another deserved three points for the Poachers, which lifts them up two places in the table.

Referee Danny O'Sullivan had kept his cards in his pocket despite some hefty challenges throughout the game.

As tempers reached boiling point, they spilled over in the dying minutes after another reckless foul on the ever-dangerous Cameron Johnson.

The unseemly melee that followed saw players running the length of the pitch to get involved.

Three Whitworth men were shown red, with Bailey Forth and Peter Evison joining them.

Earlier, the visitors had started brightly before the Poachers took control midway through the first half.

The lively Mido Turki had been unlucky to see an audacious lob narrowly clear the crossbar. After 20 minutes, Lewis Scattergood was able to steer the ball home at the far post after a superb looping cross from Fraser Bayliss on the left.

Two minutes later Johnson doubled the lead as he rounded the keeper and, despite being brought down, was able to get up and force the ball into an empty net.

Johnson, who was presented with the UCL's March Goalscorer of the Month award before kick-off, put the hosts in total control just before the interval with a peach of a goal.

Forth nicked possession deep in his own half before good work by Richard Ford set up a sweeping counter-attack. Johnson was clear on the right and with supporting players flooding into the penalty area, he lashed it home high into the top corner for his 13th goal of the campaign.

Whitworth came back into it in the second-half and pulled one back controversially, scoring direct from a free-kick as referee O'Sullivan waved away protests.

The hosts continued to create chances at the other end as Dennis Greene threw on all three subs to add fresh legs to a team playing for a second time inside three days.

Bayliss was hacked down twice in quick succession as the game moved towards its unsavoury conclusion.

Town: Greeves, Tate, Field, Ashton, Keegan, Forth, Turki, Ford, Johnson, Scattergood, Bayliss, subs used: Pinner, L Maddison, Evison

Here's some of the action, all clips (c) @Sports_Darren: 

Scattergood converts Bayliss cross for the first goal

Johnson makes it 2-0

Johnson's third, the goal of the game


Older Newer